CSCD 434 Assingment 3 Reconnaissance
Due: April 30th, 2014
Answer the following questions. One goal of the questions is to encourage you to think and consider the actions
of hacker groups with regards to activities that affect everyone that uses computers. Another goal of this
assignment is to provide some hands-on experience gleaning information in similar ways as hackers would during
the period of Reconnaissance.
- Hackers a. Is there a benefit to our society in your opinion from hacktavism?
If yes, what is the benefit they provide
If no, why do you think they do not provide a benefit.
b. From the groups doing hacktavism, is there a group or individual that stands out for you in terms of
what they are trying to accomplish or simply why they are distinguished from the crowd?
- Research Recent Attacks Report on a recent publicized cyber attack. Answer the questions:
How did they implement the attack? Were they successful in your opinion? Could the victim have protected themselves
from the attack (yes/no). If yes, then how could they have defended themselves?
- Do your own Research You can try dumpster diving. At work, school, or from a public source. Report what
you found. Anything of interest? OR, Describe how you could shoulder surf. Use your smart phone or another application.
Research what people use to shoulder surf. If you like you can conduct a proof of concept without getting caught
or raising suspicion about what you are doing. OR Describe a way to bypass any security system you know about.
Capitalize on human trust and fallibility. Just describe how it can be done or you can actually try to
implement the bypass. Just get permission from people in charge if you are doing this at work.
- Reconnaissance Research the EWU domain. Find out the following items of information:
a. Administrative contact
b. Technical contact
c. IP Addresses and names of DNS servers
d. IP Addresses and names of MX (mail) servers
e. Date the domain expires
f. Find out salary and contact information for the Administrative contact.
g. Find out the IP range of the computers within the EWU domain.
1. Results from answering the questions. Email is ok for this assignment
2. Put CSCD434 - Assignment 3 in the subject line.